The MEGA Multifunction board provides multiple I/O capability for Ardiuno boards using the MEGA form factor. Examples are the MEGA and the MEGA 2560 as well as the SainSmart Mega 2560.
The board has the following features:
Real Time Clock chip
- Microchip MCP795W10 (20).
- Coin cell holder on underside of PCB.
- Includes 64 bytes of user battery backed RAM
- 1K or 2K bits of EEPROM (128 x 8 or 256 x 8)
- Unique ID area for MAC address
- Calibration register to fine tune clock frequency (plus or minus)
- Watchdog timer with output jumper option to reset Mega
- IRQ output with option jumper for Alarms
- Two alarm option timers
- Time/Date registers to store time/date when power is lost and when power is restored.
Wiznet 5100 Ethernet interface
- Two chip selects available on 3 pin header. One is for standard IO pin. Allows you to have 2 Ethernet Ports (with library update).
- Full debug LEDs on RJ-45 jack and the PCB.
- Comes with unique MAC address stored in RTC ID registers so you can have multiple boards safely on the same net. MAC sticker is on the back of the PCB.
XBee Radio Socket
- Jumper selection to connect XBee radio to Serial Port 1, 2 or 3 on Mega.
- RSSI output connected to Mega analog input pin with filter.
- Supports all XBee & XBeePro radios in Series 1 or 2 footprint (DigiMesh 2.4G & 900MHz, 802.15.4, 900MHz, 868MHz, Zigbee, & WiFi).
- On-board LEDs for TxD & RxD activity.
- Two 16-Pin headers (2x8 and 1x16) to support most LCD displays
- All control lines connected, including R/W, so you can read back display data and device ready status.
- 8 bit data bus connected to Port A, IO22-29 for fast byte wide I/O.
- +5V & GND provided on Pins 15 & 16 for back lit displays
- Trim pot on board for contrast angle adjustment
- Buffered E signal for longer cable runs
Micro SD card socket
- Two chip selects available on 3 pin header. One is for standard IO pin. Allows you to have 2 micro SD cards (with library update).
- Card inserted switch input available to check if card present.
- Buzzer for audible alarms
- Reset Switch
- High Current on-board +5V & 3.3V regulators to support all types of XBee radios and back lit LCD displays.
- Power on LED.
- Multi-layer circuit board.
XBee Radio Information
The board can be used with the following types of XBee & XBeePro radios in Series 1 & 2 footprints:
- DigiMesh2 2.4G
- DigiMesh2 900MHz
For best results we recommend that you use XBee radios with the RP-SMA antenna connector or the mini whip antenna. These will experience the least interference from the copper areas on the PCB. The XBee radios with chip and PCB antennas will still work but their range may be reduced.
The following links are for the board manual, the Arduino Libraries and Sample code, and a ZIP file with the Schematic and PCB layout files:
** NOTE **: This board will not work with smaller form factor Ardunio boards such as the UNO!
Pictures Note: Some picture(s) show the IO Module with XBee radios attached for illustrative purposes only. XBee radios are not included and should be purchased from a vendor like Mouser or Digi-Key.
Note 1: XBee is a registered trademark of Digi International Inc.
Note 2: DigiMesh is a registered trademark of Digi International Inc.